We all know that cleaning our makeup tools is a super important part of our overall routine — it keeps our brushes and reusable sponges clean, prevents our skin from breaking out and allows for the best application of all our makeup products. However, just because this step is crucial, doesn’t mean we have to break the bank for it.
Real talk: makeup tool cleaners can get pretty pricey. So why not ditch your $20 cleansing spray and give Johnson’s® Baby Shampoo a run for its money instead? You can use this product just like you would any other makeup tool cleaner, and the results are just as good, if not better!
“This dupe is effective, affordable and super easy to get your hands on.”
I’ve recommended this hack to friends in the past, and some have been reluctant to use a product that isn’t specifically designed for brushes and sponges. Guys, if mom’s trust this formula on their baby’s bottoms, then you can trust it’s gentle enough to use on your beauty tools, too.
Another awesome perk of this shampoo, is that a little goes a long way when cleaning beauty tools. You can pick up a bottle at your local drugstore for under five bucks, and be set for months on end. This dupe is effective, affordable and super easy to get your hands on.
If all this cleaning-talk has got you thinking ‘when was the last time I washed my brushes?’, here’s a step-by-step refresher that might come in handy:
- Start off by wetting the brush under running water. Make sure the bristles are facing down to avoid getting the handle of the brush wet. This will also help preserve the area that keeps the bristles intact.
- Add a drop of the Johnson’s® Baby Shampoo to the bristles of the brush, and massage it in using your fingers.
- Next, clean out all the built-up makeup and dirt by buffing the brush against the palm of your hand, or against a cleansing pad.
- Once your brush is all sudsy, go ahead and rinse under running water. Again, make sure the bristles are facing down. You’ll know the brush is thoroughly clean when the running water turns clear.
- Air dry the brushes on a flat, clean surface — I suggest drying it on top of a freshly washed hand towel.
- Make sure all brushes are completely dry before using them again. And there you go, you’re all done!
And don’t forget, your reusable sponges need some lovin’ too! I like to wash mine after every use — I find my sponges stay cleaner and apply products better this way. If you’re just hopping on the reusable sponge game now, here’s a quick and easy crash course for you:
- Wet your sponge under running water.
- Apply a small amount of the Johnson’s® Baby Shampoo to the sponge and massage the product in with your fingers.
- Once the sponge is all sudsy, go ahead and rinse under running water. Continue rinsing until the running water turns clear.
- Lay the sponge on a clean hand towel to air dry.
Do you have any dupes or hacks up your sleeve? Don’t be shy, share them in the comments below!